Friday 12 June 2015

Miss Radcliiffe Meets......Reppatwa








Miss R: When did you first get in to music and start writing lyrics?


From when I was about 8, my Dad bought me a Sony Walkman CD player, so from then, I was downloading music from Kazaa/Limewire etc. My Dad always had records/CD’s in the house, so I sort of grew up with music, as clichĂ© as that sounds.

Before I started writing lyrics, I was writing poetry. For me, its just a form of expression, so I can only really write lyrics when something is on my mind, other wise its coming from a false place.
  
Miss R: What inspires your music? How would you describe your sound?

As of recent, it’s been hard to stay inspired, but listening back to my own material & knowing where I want to end up definitely motivates me. Unintentionally, I guess my sound is “laid-back”, or “effortless” as some would describe it, but that’s just down to me being lethargic ha! Other than that, I really take pride in the sorts of beats I vocal, from sample ranges to 808s.

 Miss R: What music did you listen to growing up?



I grew up with my parents playing music in the house, at the time (mid/late 90’s) artists such as Maxwell, Tevin Campbell, and others alike. In terms of me & hip-hop, one of my favorite songs was Nas ft Quan – Just A Moment. That must’ve dropped when I was about 10, but I was intrigued by what was being said. The imagery.
Miss R: You recently dropped your EP "The Reppalations of Reppatwa" and I see you have worked with one of my fave UK producers Moteleola on a few tracks.

Moteleola & I have quite a few tracks in the pipeline that we plan to release on other projects. He’s a person I can always call upon for when I need to be inspired to get into a creative mindstate.
How would you describe this EP for those who have yet to hear it? 
I would say Reppalations sounds like “urban jazz”, if I could describe it as a genre, or “Jazz rap” – but that sounds cheesy (both do, but yeah). That’s in terms of the production, but lyric wise – lyricism. I take pride in what I want the listener to hear. I don’t want them to hear my material & say “he sounds like..” – I hate comparisons. That’s why its important to make sure what you write comes from YOU. YOUR lyrics.


Miss R: What makes you different to any other artists?


I wake up & I say to myself: “How am I going to get your attention the first time you hear my music?”. There's one simple answer – be yourself. Don’t aspire to be like anyone else, because there is nobody like you. Nobody shares your story.
 
 
Miss R: Do you find it hard as a independent artists to get the exposure you deserve?
Always. And due to the fact the UK urban market is over-saturated, it makes it harder, but hey, there’s light at the end of the tunnel, no longer how far you have to walk
Miss R: Are there any other creative avenues you want to explore?

Song writing. If I had vocal training, I would probably be a singer myself, but that’s not my calling.
Miss R: Are there any other artist/ producer you would like to collaborate with in the future?

I can’t really put my finger on any particular artist, because I’m quite picky when it comes to working with others, even if I’m feeling the persons work. Someone I like a lot right now, is Post Malone, but whether a Reppatwa x Post Malone track would work – who knows.



Miss R: What's next for you? Do you have any shows coming up?

I’m trying to have the summer on smash. Some how. That’s all I can say.
 

Miss R: Where can the people check out your music?

Both YouTube (/reppatwatv) and SoundCloud (/repsreppatwa), but I only upload music videos to YouTube, so for all audios, SoundCloud is the best place to find new material from myself.
Thank You!!!


Have a listen to "Reppalations" on the link below. It's dope! I love it!



Twitter
@repsREPPATWA

No comments:

Post a Comment