Sunday 18 January 2015

Miss Radcliffe Meets......Chiedu Oraka

Chiedu Oraka is definitely an artist on the rise. The UK rapper from Hull, has gained the respect from his city and is now set on taking his music even further. I was fortunate enough to have a little interview with the man himself.





Miss R: I must ask you the generic "When did you first get into music" question. It's a must!

I started getting in to music at the age of about 16. My boy Crafty was rapping at the time and his mum had just bought him a Boom Box which had a few pre made beats on there. So we used to just mess around to the beats and freestyle, but back then it was just for a laugh. I never really took it that serious. I started taking it serious at around 2010 when I came back from university,  me and Crafty created a home studio and went to work on our solo mixtapes.

Miss R: Who were your musical influences growing up?

Wow.. growing up I had so many influences in regards to music. I would say my early memories of music was very African and Caribbean.  My mum used to throw parties all the time and the majority of the African community in Hull would come to my house and party till the morning. So Chaka Demus and Pliers, UB40, Shaggy, Prince Nico Mbarga, Soukous Stars, so many names to mention when it comes to early years of my life. 
As I got older I discovered Hip Hop and RnB and growing up with a big sister and a big cousin they would listen to TLC, Bobby Brown, Aaliyah, Total, Usher, Mariah Carey, Keith Sweat, honestly the list goes on. I was really punished as a child haha. But my love of Hip Hop music is when my aunty gave me a battered version of 'All Eyes On Me' by 2pac and my love for rap music blossomed from there really. Moving forward a few years the guys who mainly inspire me would be Nas, Fabolous, Wu tang, D block, Dr Dre and Snoop again the list goes on.


Miss R: Do you come from a musical family?

In regards to playing  instruments or performing no but my family are avid music listeners.
Miss R:How would you describe yourself/sound to someone who has never heard your music?

Tough question. I would say my music is very honest and could be described as raw. It's far from polished anyway. I try and focus on situations I’ve been or going through. I try and paint pictures about the working class life in my city and I try and be positive a lot in my music too. I consider my self as a bit of an underdog so I try and demonstrate through my music that the under dog will eventually prevail.
Miss R:You started this year off with your  video for "I'm from A City"
What has the response been like from the people of Hull?
The response has been so overwhelming. Everyone from Hull has really got behind the song and supported me since the release. The feedback has been great from everyone from young people to gran ma’s, everyone has been so kind with there words. The local media and radio have really supported the track too by writing articles and inviting me into there studios for interviews. This week has been crazy. My booking list has definitely gone through the roof since the release of this track.

"I'm From A City" (Prod. DJ Onestep)

 Miss R:What has the feedback been like from people outside Yorkshire?

Well on Friday I was invited by ITV Calendar to go speak to there presenters in Leeds about the track, which was a really good experience for me, as that was the first time I have ever been on television. People from all over Yorkshire have tweeted me saying they love the track and wishing me the best of luck.

 
Miss R:Have you ever been involved in battle rap?

 No, not really.  That aspect of rap dosent really interest me.

Miss R:You write about life experience and things you know about...when writing, what is the process for you.  Do you need to hear a beat first?

Erm.. theres not really that much of a process, I can’t lie and say I get real technical. If the beat is right I will write to it. I can’t really write without the music playing. I mean if I think of a bar in my head I will write it down in my phone, but the majority of the time I will need to hear the beat and If I connect with it I will start writing.

 

Miss R: Can you make beats yourself?


No. I just leave that to Deeze or Joey.


Miss R:What are you working on now? Do you have a new Album/EP?
I am currently working on my next EP ‘The Progression’ and also just trying to work on my stage show.
Miss R: Where can people keep up to date with you and your music? Do you have a website?

I currently don’t have a website but this year we are looking into it but I would say the best place to find me and my music is my twitter @orakald and my Facebook page Chiedu Oraka Official

"Drink So Much" Ft. Bacary Bax (Prod By. Deezkid)  


Miss R: Do you have any shows coming up?
 My closest show is on the 17th of February in Hull at The Sesh (Polar Bear)
Miss R: What is your goal..Where do you want your music to take you?
I really don’t see any limitations so I want my music to reach the highest places possible, I  want it to take me out of Hull so I can perform in arenas all over England and the world to be honest. ANYTHING is achievable you just have to want it hard enough combined with a high work ethic.
 Miss R: Are there any producers or other artists you want to work with in the future?
There are so many artists and producers I would love to work with. I’m unknown so it wouldn’t benefit them to work with me yet but I would like to work with Show and Prove or even the Splurge Boys and artist wise some like Ghetts or even someone like Laura Mvula. Skepta is a great artist too and I think me and Mikill Pane would make some great music too. The list could go on forever there are too many names to mention.
"Dumb And Dumber" (Prod. By Deezekid)

Miss R:  What are your thoughts on the music currently played on the radio? Do you find it hard as a independent artists to get the exposure you deserve?
My thoughts are quite strong. I feel a lot of the music getting played on the radio is very saturated. It's too polished and too structured. If I am going to be honest I don't listen to any commercial radio. I don't think it's true reflection of the best music in Britain. Theres a lack of passion and originality in the music played on radio, so for that reason alone I can't condone the trife that gets played on there. 

There are real things happening in Britain and a lot of artists are talking about these issues and the radio choose to ignore what's really happening and play what they get told too by the government. And I find it very hard epesically being from Yorkshire. We don't have the facilities and the same outlets they do in places like London and Brum town. So I have to fight twice as hard to even make it on a station like 1xtra. I don't rap about the roads, sleeping with loads of women and all that other cliche boring rap stuff so I feel my options are limited but I will break down the door, It just might take a little longer. But its definitely harder for independent artists. The industry don't seem to want to take a gamble on something that's not ready made and something they can't fully control.
 Miss R:What other interest do you have outside of music? What do you do for fun?
 Love fashion and love playing football and going to the gym. Without these things I would be lost.

 Miss R:I noticed you wearing a "workrate" jumper... the title to your 2013 EP. Is this also your clothing line?
Well yes, thats the name of my merch gear and that came about because the EP was free. I didn’t want no money for it but I wanted to extend my brand and I thought the logo was really cool so I thought putting it on tshirts and jumpers would be a great idea, and it was.  I have sold over 400 garments in around Hull and planning on doing some items this year.  
"Its Lockdown" (Prod By. Albudri)


Miss R:Who else in Hull is hot right now? Who should I take a listen too? Who is making good music????

Errrrmmmmm….. My team Lockdown obviously errrrmmm…. The Talks, Bud Sugar, Paris XY, Northern Donz, Red Eye, Annie Harmeston, Max Taylor Stafford and thats really it.
Miss R: Finally is there anything you want to add?

Just look out for me and my team this year, theres going to be a boat load of music, visuals and gigs up and down the country. The new culture will prevail.


Miss R: Big Thanks Cheidu



Follow Cheidu

twitter.com/orakald

instagram.com/orakald

soundcloud.com/chiedu-oraka

chieduoraka.bandcamp.com








No comments:

Post a Comment